Adrenal Insufficiency is a condition that arises from a hormonal imbalance that produces fatigue like symptoms. Like Chronic Fatigue, it is not always recognised or detected by those within the medical community.
The Two Types of Adrenal Insufficiency:
1) Primary Adrenal Insufficiency is known as Addisons’ Disease. This occurs when the adrenal glands, which sit above the kidneys, are unable to produce enough of the hormone cortisol and/or the hormone aldosterone. This condition can on average effect up to 4% of the population.
2) Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency occurs when the pituitary gland (produced by an organ in the brain the size of a small grape) is unable to produce enough adrenocorticotropin (A.C.T.H.).
A.C.T.H. is a hormone that stimulates the adrenal glands to produce cortisol. If A.C.T.H. output is too low, cortisol production drops. Eventually, the adrenal glands can shrink due to lack of A.C.T.H. stimulation. Secondary adrenal insufficiency is far more common than Addison’s disease.
Adrenal Fatigue is characterised by a number of telling symptoms, including most noticeably:
- Low Blood Pressure – causing dizziness and or fainting
- Tiredness – when there is no reason for it
- Inability To Go To Sleep – at night even though tired (NOTE: the white screen glare from laptops and handheld devices interferes with the production of the sleep inducing hormone melatonin)
- Weight Gain – usually around the midriff
- Muscle Weakness
- Trembling and Shakiness – when under stress
Adrenal Insufficiency can cause other health problems if left untreated, this is because. cortisol is an important hormone which is involved in:
- Maintaining Blood Pressure
- Reducing the Immune Systems Inflammatory Response
- Regulating the Metabolism of Proteins, Carbohydrates and Fats
The problem with conventional treatments is that they rely on replacing the hormones that are not being produced sufficiently by the adrenal glands with synthetic drugs. A natural alternative would be to build the adrenal glands back up through diet and supplements.
Cortisol is replaced with a synthetic glucocorticoid such as hydrocortisone or prednisone. However steroids such as these, taken over the long term, can cause other health issues and cause damage to the immune system.
Main Adrenal Insufficiency Causes
- Auto Immune Disease – the immune system attacks it’s own tissue/cells, in turn damaging the adrenal cortex. Immune misfunction can be caused by high states of chemical and or heavy metals toxicity and the pathogen overload this causes.
- Tuberculosis Infection. Used to account for 20% of cases of Addisons’ disease. Falling rates of T.B. have naturally led to declines in this causal factor.
- Chronic Infections, fungal or otherwise.
Even as far back as the late 1960’s, studies reported that up to 15% of the population were affected by adrenal insufficiency (including Addisons’ Disease). With today’s fast paced lifestyles, information overload, processed foods, pharmaceutical and recreational drug use and the ever greater demands placed upon employees in a recessionary economic environment, I would be surprised if that figure for adrenal burn out has remained the same.
For More Info Please See: I Cured My Chronic Fatigue – So Can You
Like this “Adrenal Insufficiency – The 21st Century Illness” Post? Share It With Your Friends!